Impossible. That’s the first thing it comes to my mind by reading the title of this blog entry. But, is it really impossible? This week in class we learned it is not, but this will come with a lot of problems (unless you live in a small town with no access to the internet as I used to do before I moved to the city for college).
First: who are these giants? Just read the next post and you will know, probably you don’t even need to leave this page.
Now you know who the top 5 are, ask yourself if you think you can live at least a week without them (I mean you obviously can live but you know what I mean). Maybe if you’re an apple user like me you could say the easiest ones to leave behind would be Amazon, Microsoft and Google; I gave this answer when I was asked. Next I will talk about what I thought would be my easiest order to leave them.
- Amazon. I said this was the easiest one, but did you know almost all the incomes amazon have is because of their cloud services? AWS hosts a loooot of content we use on internet so if we just “turn off” Amazon a lot of web pages would do the same.
- Microsoft. This was my second choice because as an apple user I don’t use much of their products, only Word, PowerPoint, Excel, OneDrive but I actually use sometimes the equivalents from Apple. The thing with Microsoft is that their services are more focused on companies, so it’s very probably that you be asked to used some product from Microsoft in your work, in mine we use Azure Web Services.
- Facebook. Facebook could have been my first choice to leave but they sadly manage instagram, my favorite social network and app. I truly hate WhatsApp and the Facebook app I think is one of the most ugliest things we can use, I don’t like it. Also they manage and sell your info like hell so there’s not much else to say about it.
- Google. I hate google and I don’t know why. I try to avoid them as much as I can but it’s impossible, they’re everywhere and the worst is that they’re very useful haha, I wish they were not that important.
- Apple. I just love them, their design, their UX/UI, all of it (except the prices). The thing in here is that it’s easy to leave them because unless the other four Apple is more a hardware seller, so you only need to throw away your Macbook, iPhone, iPad, etc.
It’s not that easy to stop being a client of these companies, but it is also not impossible. I think the only way you couldn’t achieve this is because of someone or something else like your job but if you can get a job where you don’t need to buy something from them, perfect! 😀
I would never be able to do so, and I don’t want to try it either, I am trying to stop using social network apps, I don’t have them installed in my phone and the ones I have (WhatsApp and instagram) is because of the need (WhatsApp) or because I really like it (instagram), although I have my notifications turned off so I am not into them like all day or every 5 minutes.
Last weekend I went with my friends to Nevado de Colima and extinct volcano to make some camping and hiking, it was awesome. I love nature and being with friends so doing both was just like the perfect weekend (except for how uncomfortable was the night). Also, we were unconnected from internet and society for two days and it was awesome. When I turned my phone on back in the city, the usage report given weekly by my iPhone told me that I used the phone an average of two hours per day, that made me happy because last winter break I used to have an average of 9-11 hours per day. So people, you need to give your phone a break and your body a well deserved clean breath. Go outside and have as much fun as you can. Please.
I feel really happy right now 🙂
Also, I REALLY HATE WHATSAPP because of how people makes you be part of it even you want it or not.